
So today we made oatmeal and corn bread...oh, wait, that picture is not of the correct "bread".... how'd those guys get in here. Hmmmm.... never know what will show up in New Mexico...we are close to Roswell so those alien breads stuck their picture here on my blog.
Ignoring them - today was fun....even though it was snowing outside (as opposed to inside!) we got to class and ended up with yummy rolls to take home with us. Using a "poolish" (not "polish") we made oatmeal bread and corn bread. Not the kind of corn bread we normally think of...the quick bread kind.... this one used fine cornmeal and AP flour and yeast. It was an interesting taste...when tasted right out of the oven, I got a sort of salty/metallic taste but later when I tasted it at home it had a sweeter taste and I really could tell a difference. Gene enjoyed it...more about that later. We also made oatmeal bread - both of them used the "soaker" method...and both ended up as rolls, rather than loaves, to save time. And a new concept for me, is scoring the rolls also. Some new tricks to try at home again.
So after driving home through the snow I gave the rolls to Gene and he had them for lunch with a big bowl of soup. He loved them both...and asked me when I would make more of them!!! That guy is getting spoiled...which is ok...I guess!! Maybe I'll make fresh bread on Saturday before the sisters-in-law arrive from Minnesota. Hmmmm...could make wild-rice soup and Mom's rye bread...
Took a few pictures today again (sure hope that doesn't bother my class - but it's such fun to document these labs).... click here
Mid-term next week....argghhhhh...guess I better study a bit -
Interesting grains:
Yeah, I got 100% on my Baker's Percentage worksheet (Thanks Bill)


No comments:
Post a Comment