
Today is windy and dusty here in NM, but sunny...just a day for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on white bread along with a glass of milk. Problem? Well, we had no bread in the house...and I didn't feel like going into town to get any so I made some. Of course, I also didn't have whole wheat or rye flour or anything else to make "interesting" bread, so out came the recipe for white bread from my favorite bread cook "St Paul Bread Club".... so easy, so fast to make....and I think it turned out pretty dang good - I gave it a double rise and then when I put it in the loaf pans, I just let it raise about 1/3 rather than doubling due to our altitude. Also brushed it with an egg wash before baking. Changed the temp of the oven also...15 minutes at 400 and then about 25 minutes at 375. Great oven-spring and browned beautifully. I put a small saucepan of boiling water in the bottom of the oven and thru in some ice cubes every once in a while in order to create some steam and keep the crust from getting to hard. Made sure to cover it with a towel and plastic wrap when it was rising in the pans. Of course, my old favorite Tupperware bowl was used for the dough to rise... works so well. Put the top on it, burp it, and put it in the warm oven to rise. Works every time. Has for years.
So, tonight we will have fresh white bread - wonder if I could get by with just making PB&J sandwiches for supper? Probably not...but might be able to get Gene to take me to dinner at Dick's Deli...
No class this week due to Easter Monday holiday at Luna...only 3 more weeks of class left and then the final. Will miss the lab/class/prof/classmates! But will keep baking breads.... can hardly stand to buy bread anymore....do miss the great bakeries in Seattle.. we need one here!!
No comments:
Post a Comment